Concerns and complaints can arise from time to time and it is the school’s intention that parents should have them dealt with fairly and quickly and following a clearly defined procedure.

Should you have any concerns, you should talk to your child’s class teacher in the first instance.  If you are not happy with the response you should contact the headteacher.  Should you still have concerns you should submit a written complaint to the Governing Body through the Clerk to the Governors. Following this, the next stage of appeal is through the local authority and if still dissatisfied, parents can appeal to the Secretary of State for Education.

The school has a Complaints Procedure and this document is available from our website or the school office on request.