At Cranbrook Primary School we recognise the importance of carefully planned transitions to ensure every child receives the best possible start in their new school, whether this is Early Years beginning with us in Reception, or our Year 6 pupils moving on to secondary.
Transition to Cranbrook Primary School from Nursery
We have a carefully planned transition process in place to ensure our new Reception pupils are ready to join us by September. Pupils often have contact with us in their Early Years through outreach community events we run with local nurseries. These events include local nurseries being invited to our School Christmas Nativity and running Forest School sessions for nursery groups at our School Forest School.
Our tailored transition programme for new starters includes the following:
- Parent Information Afternoon and 'marketplace' showcasing services and products, such as wraparound care provision, school uniform providers, school nurse
- A lunch taster session
- Two transition sessions for the children (one with and one without parents attending)
- A transition 'goodie bag' for children, including a social story to introduce them to the school and a resourced summer craft project
- Local nursery visits from the class teacher to meet children and talk to their key worker
- Home visits in September, before children start at school
- A Year 6 allocated buddy who writes to their new starter over the summer and supports them when they arrive in school. This buddy then continues with the Reception class pupils as their reading buddy throughout the year
- A parent 'Tea and Tears' event for mums and dads once they have dropped children off at school!
Transition to Secondary School
As Year 5 may be unable to visit secondary schools in person this year, we have put together this page to share information from some of our local secondary schools, to support parents and pupils in making their secondary school selections.
Information on the Kent Test can be found at: https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-children/schools/school-places/kent-test#tab-2
High Weald Academy